Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Lower the Bucket


      I love this picture, because it portrays two of my favorite enduring images....a long-surviving tree and a life-sustaining water well.  I firmly believe I was led to it as the ideal icon for a collection of thoughts and essays which I have long wanted to express.  The photo also gave me an inspiration for a title for my journals:

Drawing from the Well.

      For almost as many years as the tree in the photo has been persevering through the seasons, I have been reading, studying, meditating, praying and experiencing.  And it seemed that from the beginning, I knew that my true purpose and passion was to write and express the depths of the sweet waters God had placed in the well of my life.   My shelves are overflowing with books, in which I have marked richly worded passages.  I have a wealth of notes with ideas for writing, given to me as gifts of inspiration.  I just hope I haven't waited too long to lower the bucket into the well.  As you can see, it's dry and tipped-over empty.  

     Of course, the forum I'm using here is called a blog.  But I doubt if I'll refer to it that way very often. Although I appreciate the technology, that word blog itself just isn't poetic enough for me. It sounds more like something Alley Oop might have said.  And if you don't know who Alley Oop is, that's OK. It's just likely you weren't born yet when the tree in the photo was planted.

    Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers.  But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night.  He is like a tree planted by streams of water.....  Psalm 1:1-3

    Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst.  Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life. (Jesus' words to the Samaritan woman in John 4:13-14)

   


1 comment: