Thursday, June 5, 2014

Heaven's Scent


 
   


      God's gift of smell has the wonderful ability to take us on a journey of memory, and I praise Him for that blessing.  I thank you, Lord, that I can recall many aromas that remind me what a wonderful childhood I enjoyed at 2028 Ferris Road in Columbus, Ohio.  Wild peppermint growing outside my bedroom window, coal stored in the basement bin, fragrant irises lining the stone driveway, and the warm smell of Mother's fried potatoes.

       Take a few moments and think about the most pleasant aromas that you can recall from your childhood.....and consider some of the ways God has used the blessing of smell in your life.

      As enamored as I am with smells from the past, what I really long for are the scents of Heaven.  How wonderful they will be !  For the past several months I have enjoyed the scent of a liquid hand soap Dancing Waters.  There is something about its aroma that affects me in a way I can't explain.  It takes me either to a wonderful place I've been before and can't remember , or to a place I would love to go and stay forever.

                                          In the Gospel of John 12: 1-3, John describes one of his memories of aroma. Try to imagine what it would have been like to be there.....

"Six days before the Passover, Jesus arrived at Bethany, where Lazarus lived, whom Jesus had raised from the dead.  Here a dinner was given in Jesus' honor.  Martha served, while Lazarus was among those reclining at the table with him.  Then Mary took about a pint of pure nard, an expensive perfume; she poured it on Jesus' feet and wiped his feet with her hair.  And the house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume."

      Lord, we can hardly wait to breathe deeply all of the surprises you have planned for us, but help us to slow down and have a greater appreciation for the wonderful scents you provide for us every day.

                               

3 comments:

  1. I remember the aroma of my grandmother's muffins baking in the Majestic wood burning range. I can almost taste them now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to see that you are committing to writing! Starting this blog requires really putting yourself out there and I'm thrilled to that you are doing it. :) Looking forward to reading more of what God puts on your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the encouragement, Heather. I really needed to hear that.😊

    ReplyDelete