Monday, July 14, 2014

Sing a New Song




     My first remembrance of embracing contemporary spiritual music, and by that I mean any music of faith besides traditional hymns, was in 1980-1981.  I was experiencing difficult times emotionally and spiritually,  and about that time Bill and Gloria Gaither had begun their singing and songwriting careers with what have since become classic songs of the heart.  The first two I recall that really ministered to me were Something Beautiful :

     Something beautiful, something good.
     All my confusion, he understood.
     All I had to offer him was brokenness and strife,
     But He made something beautiful of my life.

     If there ever were dreams that were lofty and noble
     They were my dreams at the start
     And hope for life's best were the hopes that I harbored
     Down deep in my heart.
     But my dreams turned to ashes
     And my castles all crumbled, my fortune turned to loss.
     So I wrapped it all in the rags of my life
     And laid it at the cross.
     Something beautiful....

and Because He Lives:

     God sent His son and they called him Jesus
     He came to love, heal and forgive
     He lived and died to buy my pardon
     An empty grave is there to prove my Savior lives.
     
     Because He lives, I can face tomorrow.
     Because He lives, all fear is gone.
     Because I know He holds the future
     And life is worth the living just because He lives.

     Then one day I'm gonna cross that river
     I'm gonna fight life's final war with pain
     And then as death gives way to victory
     I'm gonna see those lights of glory and know my Savior reigns.

     Because He lives.....


     And it wasn't just the words that spoke to my need, but the music was like the rich soil in a garden in which the Gaither's lyrics had been planted as flowers.  Other of their songs followed......He Touched Me.   There's Something About That Name.   It Is Finished.   I Will Serve Thee.    I can still sing these songs by memory even now, over 30 years later.  It's difficult to overstate the wonderful impact they had on my spirit as I added them to my daily worship with prayer and Bible reading.   I encourage my grandchildren and other descendants to listen to the songs I've listed below and meditate on their lyrics.  Even if the songs have fallen out of popularity by the time you read this, they're part of your spiritual heritage because they ministered to me so well.  Give them an opportunity to do the same for you.    

     But these songs were just the beginning of an era of contemporary worship music that continues today.  In fact, to the chagrin of some, many churches have put away the traditional hymn books and exclusively sing more modern praise songs in their worship services.  Other churches offer multiple services, giving their worshippers a choice of singing one style or the other.   Some are adamant about choosing one style over the other, but personally, as long as the focus is on Christ, I can worship well with either style.   In a previous essay on this blog, "A Boy's First Church",  I listed many of the traditional hymns I grew up singing and chose some of my favorites.   The following is a list of the praise songs and modern gospel ballads I have come to love over the last 30 years.  Many artists are represented here, but the ones besides the Gaithers who have had the most impact on me are Rich Mullins,  Michael W. Smith,  Twila Paris,  Phillips, Craig & Dean,  and the Cathedrals.  As I did with the traditional hymns, I've placed a star beside particular favorites.













Above All
Agnus Dei  *
As the Deer
Awesome God
Because He Lives  *
Because I'm Forgiven
Bound to Come Some Trouble  *
Breathe
Broken and Spilled Out
Champion of Love
Cry Out to Jesus
Draw Me Close  *
Elijah
Give Me Jesus
Give Thanks
God Is Here
God of Wonders
Growing Young  *
He Knows My Name
He Touched Me
Here I Am to Worship
Hold Me Jesus  *
How Beautiful  *
How Great Is Our God
How Majestic Is Your Name
I Can Only Imagine  *
I Give You My Heart
I Will Serve Thee
In Christ Alone
It Is Finished
Jesus Messiah
Lamb of God
Let Everything That Has Breath
Lord I Lift Your Name on High
Majesty
My Deliverer
My Redeemer Is Faithful and True  *
Oh What a Savior
Open the Eyes of My Heart
Pour My Love on You
Redeemed
Revelation Song
Shout to the Lord
Sinner Saved by Grace
Something Beautiful  *
10,000 Reasons
Thanks to Calvary
There Is None Like You
There's Something About That Name
Voice of Truth
Warrior Is a Child, The
We Shall Behold Him  *
Who Am I
Wonderful Cross
Wonderful Merciful Savior
Worthy Is the Lamb
You Are My King




     

No comments:

Post a Comment